My Last J.O.B Day was 11 years, 2 months, 23 days… or 4100 days ago.
My 1st YouTube Video was 5 years, 5 months, 27 days… or 2005 days ago.
My 1st Blog Post was 5 years, 5 months, 9 days… or 1987 days ago.
My 1st eBook Sale was 3 years, 10 months, 21 days… or 1421 days ago.
My 1st Online Course Sale was 3 years, 7 months, 5 days ago… or 1313 days ago.
My Hubs Quit His J.O.B 3 years, 1 month, 6 days… or 1132 days ago.
My 1st Personal Brand Post was 2 years, 2 months, 8 days… or 800 days ago.
My 1st Best Selling Book was published 7 months, 15 days… or 227 days ago.
We Started Travelling Around Australia 2 months, 7 days… or 2005 days ago.
I didn’t want this to be some regular “How to start a BLOG” post. My intention is for you to see the evolution and also the way a BLOG goes from ”
- Just a Blog”
- to “Being a Business”
- to “Becoming a Brand”.
I want you to see how simple the process is.
I also know I exist within the BLOG > BUSINESS > BRAND BUBBLE! And that some people have no idea this this “BLOG” thing exists.
It started the DAY I DECIDED to go after my big DREAMS! In 2006. I won’t go into the story today, cause I have heaps of points to make and heaps of things to teach
Here’s the cliff notes version;
My blog started in 2011. When I just started writing (funny that) about how I was juggling kids and university with businesses! You see in 2006 I had signed up for a Bachelor of Communications at Griffith University (via correspondence AKA ONLINE!).
After being a high-school dropout and teenage mum, I just couldn’t shake the fact that society had me pegged and poised for failure and stats. I was determined to show society it was full of shit for putting me in a pigeon hole. #JustWatchMe I thought…
Anyway, 5 years into juggling kids+uni+businesses and giving myself the badge of PRO KID+BIZ Juggler.
*Sidebar, do you know I was ‘going’ to start a blog in 2006! You know when BLOGS were read and commented on and super social. But get this… I thought I had missed the bus. I thought I was too late to the party! Hahahaha, imagine if I had just started writing in 2006! Imagine if you just started writing now!
I’m in the BLOG + BUSINESS + BRAND bubble and this is how it works.
How the Blog to Business to Brand Model works.
- You write stuff about stuff you know
- You share the stuff you write about the stuff you know
- You create an eBook that shares stuff you write about the stuff you know
- You sell that little eBook on your website
- People who like the stuff you write about the stuff you know = buy it
- Then they get so into the stuff you write about the stuff you know = they want more from you
- You package up an educational online course and teaching about the stuff you know
- You create a free series (written, spoken or otherwise) to teach tidbits of the stuff you know
- People want the packaged up, detailed educational course about the stuff you know = they buy it from you
- All the while you keep writing stuff about the stuff you know
- You share the stuff you write about the stuff you know
- And so it goes
That’s how the Blog to Business to Brand model works.
Don’t know anything about anything? Well, that’s WHY I said 11 years! I didn’t just wake up being an expert in PRODUCTivity.
I didn’t just wake up being an expert in PRODUCTivity.
I didn’t just wake up a Pro Biz+Kid Juggler. I had to fail and win and fail some more to get to this point.
I didn’t just wake up one day a Caravanning, Roadschooling, Minimalist!
I didn’t just wake up with a university degree under my belt (with kids in tow) that took me 6 years of dedication to GRADUATE! That definitely wasn’t just a wake-up and GRADUATE.
I didn’t just wake up and be all energetic. I WAS a lazy, day-time-TV watching, couch potato (before going after my dreams) I’ll have you know. So I didn’t wake up like this pocket rocket you see today.
I didn’t just wake up like this.
It’s been a DECADE in the making and it just slipped over to 11 years since I decided to go after my BIG DREAMS and even before then since it was the shoe shop where I learnt all the SELLING skills I have now.
The 4 x E’s = Jana’s “EXPERT ENOUGH” Blog Writing Formula
The Experience Test
Do you have EXPERIENCE in the stuff you want to BLOG about? YES? Well, then you pass the EXPERIENCE test.
Are you an EXPERIMENTALIST in the stuff you want to BLOG about? So, for example, you’re a health addict, but not certified? Make that clear up front, that this is your EXPERIMENTS and you’ll be right to roll. Another example would be if you’re a MANIFESTING EXPERIMENTALIST and you’re doing manifesting experiments. If you use your BLOG to document your wins and fails, you’re completely expert enough to BLOG on manifesting.
For example, my travels right now, I’m blogging about them here on JanaKingsford.com. Not as a travel expert, but as an experimentalist.
Do you have EXPERTISE? I mean are you certified? qualified? formerly educated in an area, then guess what you fair and square, pass the Expertise Test. You can blog about it.
Did you EXECUTE what you want to teach about? Yes? Well, then you pass the EXECUTION test. So did you climb Mt Everest? Well, that’s a mix of experience and execution! So you pass.
So let’s get on with the HOW to start a BLOG that BECOMES a BUSINESS (& then a BRAND).
#1 JUST START WRITING STUFF
If you think that’s TOO simple, then you make it TOO complicated. Just start writing. But seriously.
ONE day is not a deadline or a timeline or an any-kind-of-line that will lead you to create a BLOG.Right now I’m typing this, in the car, we’re travelling. And sometimes I get the urge to write while driving and sometimes I don’t. Today, I have the urge to write. It’s a pretty long and baron stretch of road between Adelaide, South Australia and Port Augusta, South Australia. Seriously, we did NOT realise (I know you’d think we’d be more organised than that, but no) how BIG and how FAR South Australia is to Western Australia! Who knew (not us). So we’re on our way to a farm stay, to give the kids a bit of a farm-like-stay, especially after seeing them with the farm animals last Saturday (I shared it on my Insta). The point I’m making here, is that the only way I can do this, is because I wrote this BLOG.
Right now I’m typing this, in the car, we’re travelling. And sometimes I get the urge to write while driving and sometimes I don’t. Today, I have the urge to write. It’s a pretty long and BIG stretch of road between Adelaide, South Australia and Port Augusta, South Australia. Seriously, we did NOT realise (I know you’d think we’d be more organised than that, but no) how BIG and how FAR South Australia is to Western Australia! Who knew (not us). So we’re on our way to a farm stay, to give the kids a bit of a farm-like-stay, especially after seeing them with the farm animals last Saturday (I shared it on my Insta).
The point I’m making here, is that the only way I can do this, is because I wrote this BLOG. I literally just started writing stuff about stuff I was doing… Still am I guess.
#2 MAKE YOUR LIFE INSPIRATIONAL (IT’S NON-NEGOTIABLE)
This is a weird one right, “MAKE” your life inspirational? But if you want to create a business from your blog and sell products, services, books and/or bootcamps off the backend, like I do with Big Dreams Bootcamp – then you really need to lead an inspiring life. Not one where you complain every damn day #FBRANTPOSTRIGHTTHERE The only way to make a BLOG work (in my humble opinion) is to go out of your way to live an inspired life and do inspiring stuff. It somehow has a way of transcending through your words.
You think I didn’t look at the RETURN ON INVESTMENT that our BIG DREAMS TRIP would have on my business? Of course I did. I knew that doing something this BIG and INSPIRING was going to not only GROW ME + BUT GROW MY READERSHIP + BUSINESS TOO! (and it has).
#3 BE A JOURNALIST OF YOUR LIFE
People are craving the documentation (mark my words here!) vs hearsay advice. What I mean is, if you DOCUMENT what you DO (in whatever field or industry it is), that’s going to go over a whole lot better than you slinging advice on the interwebs, without DOCUMENTING what you do.
#4 JUST KEEP STACKING
Stack your VIDEOS
Stack your BLOGS
There was a day when I had no blogs. Now I have a shiz tonne.
Here’s my TIPS for stacking your BLOG POSTS (the backbone of your BLOG / BUSINESS).
- DON’T HOLD BACK – WHEN YOU THINK OF WATERING down your blogs and content, don’t. Don’t hold back. The more information, resources and practical strategies you give + with tools + also philosophies and perspective changes = the more valueable it will be. And those WHO SERVE MORE WIN MORE. So don’t get all “scarcity mindested” into holding your strategy-cards close to your chest, it serves no one. All points can be elaborated on in your paid stuff and it’s always going to be so much more powerful for them when they invest, it makes them care more and therefore do more and in turn get MORE results.
- DON’T THINK JUST DO – really, this is the most annoying advice of any overthinkers life. But DO IT. What if you just went with your INITIAL INTUITIVE HIT, what if you just showed up to your BLOG and started pumping words out about a single topic and creating a mini training or documentary about it? Imagine! That’s called blogging.
- WHO WHAT WHEN WHERE WHY – it’s the easiest framework I know for PRODUCing anything online. My salespages are based on this premise. My funnels are based on the WHO WHAT WHEN WHERE WHY framework and so are my VIDEOS. I ask myself OK
- WHO is this for
- WHY am I writing it + WHY would they want to try/do/see this?
- WHAT am I writing about
- WHEN to do it (depends on the concept of the blog you’re making)
- HOW to do it (DON’T HOLD BACK, give them all you got).
- KEEP A COLLECTION OF HEADLINES – this blog post came to me weeks ago and it was in my BLOG LIST. Today as we’re driving over the countryside I started writing it.
Stack your FUNNELS!
Don’t whinge and bitch and moan about setting up elaborate funnels. I just completely set up from go to woe the ACTION BLOCKBUSTING BOOTCAMP in 1 day.
- I re-recorded ALL the videos.
- Then I embedded them onto Vimeo and into the website (I use OPTIMIZEPRESS, there are heaps of options these days, I just learnt how to do it that way).
- I then wrote + created a whole new batch of emails to go with it. Set up the sequence in my GETDRIP account (you can use MailChimp – it really doesn’t matter what tool you use, there’s an abundance of tools, just pick one, it’s not a big deal).
- Then off you go. PUBLISH. Done. #JustKeepStacking
- ONE DAY PEOPLE – ONE FREAKIN DAY. #JUSTKEEPSTACKING
CHECK OUT MY LATEST FREE MINI COURSE: “ACTION BLOCKBUSTING BOOTCAMP” (AKA A MINI COURSE TO TEACH YOU THE SIMPLE #BELIEFWORK METHOD I USE TO REWIRE YOUR SUBCONSCIOUS TO TAKE ACTION THAT SYNCS WITH YOUR BIG DREAMS!” www.bigdreamsbootcamp.com/action
OK, this is going to have to be continued, we only have 32 Kilometres until we get to the FARM… and I want to send this first part out.
Love Jana xx
Jana Kingsford B.Comm PR
If DREAM CHASER was a CAREER that would be mine.
If DREAM ACHIEVER was a DEGREE that’s what I help
BTW: If you want to do some DEEPER BELIEFWORK check out my FREE 5-Step Action Blockbusting Bootcamp www.bigdreamsbootcamp.com/action
BIG DREAMS BOOTCAMP is my course on PURE PRODUCTive to stop you spinning and start you winning at your BIG DREAMS! If you’ve done my #BELIEFWORK and you’re ready to join us in BIG DREAMS BOOTCAMP learn more here – www.bigdreamsbootcamp.com/join